Our local road 10th Line West is vital to Churchill Meadows for more reasons than where many of our residents live, walk, bike and shop. The 20 km stretch road traverses into two cities of Mississauga and Brampton with surveying rights as old as 1819. As in, this road is officially almost 200 years old!
One must wonder where the name “10th Line West” comes from. Let’s break it down:
The reference “10th Line” – Originally the road belonged to Halton county. Halton had their center point road, currently called Tremaine Road (think of it as our Hurontario St). Tremaine Road was the prime reference for major north-south roads, where travelling eastwards were equidistant and sequential north-south roads, titled “Lines,” and hence Tenth Line was the 10th one. Makes sense?
The term “West” – this one is interesting. “West of what?” was a question asked by a resident and elaborated on by Mississauga’s in-house historian, Matthew Wilkinson from Heritage Mississauga, in a fascinating article titled “West of What”. Click here to read the article.
Currently, pictures of Tenth Line West during early development are a challenge to obtain. However, with the help of Peel Archives, we were able to obtain what Trafalgar Road looked like in 1952, and likely 10th Line looked similar.
Thank goodness 10th Line West has come a long way!
No matter how the name came about or how 10th Line West looked, roads like this need to be recognized to have helped spark and preserve the community we now consider part and dear to our home. I for one am personally thankful 10th Line is there for a calm drive as opposed to the speedier main roads.
Neill, Kyle. “From Mud to Pavement: the Early History of Peel Roadways as told by our Records.” https://peelarchivesblog.com/2016/06/30/earlyroadways/ PAMA, June 30, 2016
Sign post at Derry West, Toronto Township (Mississauga), 1949, Russell Cooper fonds, Region of Peel Archives at PAMA
8th Line, Trafalgar Township, Toronto Township (Mississauga), 1952, Russell Cooper fonds, Region of Peel Archives at PAMA