The CMRA Board of Directors has proposed two constitutional amendments. The membership will be asked to vote on these amendments at the AGM on April 23rd, 2018. The proposed amendments are as follows:
1. Changing references to our fiscal year:
Article 5, part 3) mentions that the beginning of our fiscal year is April 1st. The board would like to change this reference to October 1st, so that Article 5, part 3) would read:
Article 5. Membership
3) General Membership and Associated Membership must be renewed annually at or before the beginning of the fiscal year, on October 1st, by paying a non-refundable membership fee determined by the CMRA Board of Directors for each class of membership.
Reason for this change:
The CMRA Board of Directors has decided to change our year end from March 31st to September 30th. This change better aligns with our summer programming. The timing of our AGM, membership renewals and the election of a new board of directors depends on our year end. With a September 30th year end and October AGM, a new incoming Board will have greater input into the early planning stages of our summer calendar of events.
How the Change in Year End will be Implemented
Our next year end will occur on September 30th, 2018. Shortly thereafter, we will call a membership meeting to provide an update on CMRA activities and present financial statements. The next official AGM will take place in October 2019.
The board elected at the April 2018 AGM will serve until the next AGM in October 2019, thereby serving an 18-month term. Likewise, 2018/2019 CMRA memberships will be valid for 18 months, until September 30th 2019.
2. Changing the minimum period of notice for proposed constitutional amendments and subsequent vote:
Currently, the membership must be informed of any proposed amendment to the constitution with 7 day’s prior notice of any vote. The board is recommending that this notice be increased to 21 days so that Article 13 would read:
Article 13. Amendments to the Constitution
The constitution, once signed and filed with the City of Mississauga, may be amended at any membership meeting of the Association provided that:
- The Amendment is promoted within the boundaries twenty-one (21) calendar days prior to the vote being called on the amendment via the Association website and/or public notice.
- The amendment is approved by at least two-thirds of the voting members present at the meeting in which the vote is called.
Reason for this Change:
The City of Mississauga recommends that affiliated groups provide members with at least 21 days notice of any vote on amendments to their constitution. With this change, we will be compliant with the City’s guidelines.
If you have any questions or require further information, please contact us.